We understand that keeping up with all the latest COVID-19 vaccine details can be overwhelming; let me do my best to simplify it for you. Our office has begun administering the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to children six months and older. We are currently limited in our supply for ages six months through 11 years old but have availability for those over 12 years old.
COVID Vaccine Schedule
Children Aged 6 Months through 4 Years:
- If your child has never received the COVID-19 vaccine, they will need a second dose of the updated vaccine. This second dose should be given 4 to 8 weeks after the first one.
- If your child has previously received any COVID-19 vaccine, they must have had the Moderna vaccine for us to administer the updated vaccine in our office.
- If your child previously received one dose of the Moderna vaccine, the updated vaccine in our office should be given at least four weeks after the first dose.
- If your child has previously been vaccinated with more than two doses of Moderna, the updated vaccine in our office must be given at least eight weeks after the last dose.
Children Aged 5 and Up:
- Children five and older will only need one dose of the updated vaccine.
- If your child has previously been vaccinated with any COVID-19 mRNA vaccine, the updated vaccine in our office should be given at least eight weeks after the last dose.
- If it has been at least eight weeks, your child can receive the updated vaccine in our office whether they had previously received Phfizer or Moderna. There are no limitations to stick with the same manufacturer in this age group.
It’s important to note that even if your child has never been vaccinated, they will only need one dose of the updated vaccine if they are five or older.
Why These Changes Matter
These updated guidelines ensure your child receives the most effective protection against COVID-19. The timing of the doses and the choice of vaccine matter, as they help maximize the immune response and reduce the risk of illness.
Scheduling Vaccine Appointments
6 months through 11 years
We want to make sure your child stays safe and healthy. The state of Massachusetts supplies the vaccines to our office, and right now, the supply for the six-month through 11-year vaccine has been limited. We are keeping a waitlist, and each time we receive a shipment, we begin calling families on the waitlist to offer them an appointment at our next clinic. If you want your child to be added to the waitlist, don’t hesitate to contact our office at (508) 576-5010 or send us a message using the Spruce app or your patient portal account.
If you have questions on if your child is eligible based on their past vaccines, please reach out, and we will help guide you.
Our vaccine supply for children 12 years and older allows us to schedule appointments for those seeking vaccination. Please call the office at (508) 576-5010 or message us using the Spruce app or your patient portal to determine our next availability. We run limited clinics and schedule vaccine visits at set times each day. We have enough supply right now and do not need to keep a waitlist for those over 12 years old.